Sunday, November 15, 2009

stew

I'm making stew today.
It's super easy almost foul proof stew.
So easy and so good I figure i should share.

Add these ingredients to your crock pot and cook on low until potatoes and meat done. I have gone as little as 6 hours and as long as 10.

Add 1-2 pounds of stew meat
I cut mine into bite size pieces but if you like big chunky stew leave them big. I also remove any large chunks of fat, marbled meat is great but fat chunks yuck
I then chop up @ 4 cups of potatoes
Any kind- bakers, red, yellow. I leave the skins on but if you don't like skins peel them off. Again chopped size of potatoes is up to you, I make them about the size of the meat
Then chop up some onion about 1/2 an med onion
I prefer to use sweet onions. But yellow or white work fine too. I chop mine really small but if you like big bites of onion go for it. Again adding more or less onion changes the flavor so have fun. I have tossed in a whole onion or just a little it's good both ways
Add other chopped vegetables if desired about two cups
You can add carrots, celery, what ever you like. My family not huge fans of cooked carrots and if I add celery they will eat everything but celery. I instead don't add veggies at this time. I will however add a drained can of green beans later.
Chop about a clove of garlic
I love garlic so i may add more if i have it. Chop it small, crush it and leave chunks, rough chop, add almost none, use pre chopped garlic, you really can't go wrong on the garlic step.
Now add one undrained can of mushrooms
you can add two if you like, just make sure to add juice and all
At this point I will add chicken stock until everything is covered.
Depending on what you added and how much of it you used this amount will change. Just be sure sure to leave room to stir, add green beans, and 1/2 cup of water. Things get messy if you don't leave the room.
Now add some salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce.
Just add some, I taste later in the process and see what it needs more of. Since different amounts of meat, different types of potatoes and varying amounts of liquid will change salt, pepper ration I try and under season. It's much easier to add more later than tone it down.
Stir and mix, then cover and let it do it's thing.
I check back when it starts to smell good and adjust seasoning
A 1/2 an hour before serving blend 1/2 cup water & 1/2 cup of flour. add to pot and stir. Turn heat to high and cook for 30 Min's
This is also the point that I add the can of drained green beans. The flavors should be strong before you add the flour mixture, don't worry. Before serving check salt, pepper, and Worcestershire levels. add more if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment