Monday, November 23, 2009

almost thanksgiving

So it's less than a week until thanksgiving.


It really doesn't feel that way. I am not hosting or organizing or cooking any dinner this year. It's strange. I am a planner. It's strange to have an event on the horizon and not be planning.

Last year a week out, I had a table set up in my kitchen with recipes and ingredients all lined up. I had been shopping the ads and was buying up my ingredients at great prices and needed someplace to store the food. I managed to make thanksgiving for 10 adults & 4 kids and buy groceries for the month within my normal grocery budget. I was shocked! No way could I have done it if my mom hadn't bought the turkey. We buy fresh free range turkey. It's pricey turkey but worth every delicious penny.

Needless to say if i had my dry ingredients lined up: the menu was already set and the hours spent perusing the web for holiday dish ideas already done.

With no additional shopping, cleaning, or cooking that goes along with hosting a big dinner this year, the nearness of thanksgiving hasn't sunk in. With out the crazed rush that I usually prepare for thanksgiving it feels strange. It's strange but in a good way. I think I like this new way.
Happy turkey day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment